Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Review of the Wilhelm Chapters

            Strategic Reading: Guiding Students to Lifelong Literacy, 6-12 was a great except to read. I read chapters one and two and found myself surrounded with many great ideas for teaching. The most important idea I found was the learning-centered teaching guide. This model has four steps: “I do you watch”, “I do you help”, “You do I help”, and “You do I watch” (Wilhelm 11). This idea of learning-centered teaching is the best way for students to fully grasp what they are learning, while at the same time, you as the teacher will not be helping them too much. This model brings to light Vygotsky’s well-known idea of scaffolding and the zone of proximal development. “When students have had enough support and practice with a particular task… the ante of instruction can then be raised and a task in a new zone of proximal development approached”  (Wilhelm 20). This is very important when teaching students. They must constantly be moving their zones of proximal development so that they can continue to reach their maximum potential of learning and understanding.
            Wilhelm further explained that the curriculum-centered model of teaching and learning is most predominantly used in the middle and high school levels. This is when teachers are giving lectures to students and the students must regurgitate that information back to the teacher on a test. This is not a good model for learning because “the knowledge is declarative, decontextualized, and inert… knowledge is not constructed nor applied” (Wilhelm 10). The student does not think for himself when this type of teaching is occurring in the classroom. Later on, the student cannot recall this information because he didn’t have to come up with anything on his own. There was no real thought that went into the learning, just memorization.

            These chapters by Wilhelm reminded me of the important ideas from Vygotsky that we must apply in our own classrooms to make the most out of our teaching efforts. It is important as we get closer and closer to becoming teachers that we realize the best way for a student to learn. This means that we cannot lecture students for 50 minutes a day. If we want the student to not only learn but to enjoy our classrooms, we must make it a community of learning. We are not the all and powerful teachers who know everything. We must allow the students to learn first hand how and why something is the way it is. We must teach them in steps, allowing the student to master a particular strategy and then allow them to move on to a different approach as Wilhelm explained in the learning–centered teaching guide. We cannot start our teaching in the “I do you watch” phase and then skip to the “you do I watch” phase the very next example. It is a process of learning. Once we realize that learning is a shared and interactive idea, is when the students will learn to the best of their abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment